Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Different Resolution Cloned Display NVIDIA Setup

One of the more annoying problems that I encounter after updating NVIDIA drivers on a Windows system is my settings partly reset, specifically having to re-clone my 1920x1080 Monitor with my 1376x768 TV (which upscales to 1080p) in order to fix overscan issues. I also often encounter an issue that breaks video playback when switching between the Monitor and the TV after a driver update. So as a reminder for myself, I'll document the steps I use to properly setup display cloning for different resolutions. From what I remember AMD handled this much better.

First I'll be updating my NVIDIA driver from 399.07 to 399.24 as an example, I typically download the new driver and install it on top of the old one. If you are having some issues, it is sometimes recommended to use something like DDU to fully remove the old driver before installing the new one. I only select the Graphic Driver and HD Audio Driver, while GeForce Experience is useful for ShadowPlay, I don't like the fact that you need to create an account and login, so I don't use it. I also don't feel a clean installation is needed, unless you have issues, as it resets everything to default not just cloned display settings.

After installation is complete I restart. I then turn on my secondary display (TV) and open NVIDIA Control Panel. Quickly it is evident that the TV has overscan issues and no way to adjust it on this cheap TV or within the NVIDIA settings as everything is blanked out. In order to adjust it you must first reset the display to extended display, make all your changes and then clone the Monitor to TV.


Now if you go into Change resolution and on the TV you can change the resolution or apply it again to reset everything. Then go into Adjust desktop size and position and Enable desktop resizing and click Resize, this will show the Resize adjustment panel on your secondary display (TV) to adjust for overscan/underscan.


I also disable inverse telecine for both displays under Adjust video image settings, as that seems to cause some issues with video playback.


All that is left to do now is to clone your primary source (Monitor) to your secondary source (TV) under Setup multiple displays and hit Apply. I found that if by mistake your secondary source is cloned to your primary, you will experience video playback issues when turning on the secondary or primary device while the other is on. To test this I turn off one display and play a video in something like VLC and then turn the other display, the video should switch audio source but otherwise continue playing, if it doesn't work then it will freeze (but may or may not continue to play audio).

After everything is setup I typically run unigine valley benchmark to check for any performance difference between the old and new drivers. It seems pretty clear that DX11 performance is slightly better in the newer 399.24 driver, compared to 399.07.

No comments: