Thursday, September 7, 2017

Commander Keen with Dosbox & Business Gift Certificates

I wanted to play some old school commander keen so I used DosBox 0.74. However I didn't like how the default resolution looked for me and after sometime I figured out that editing the default dosbox-0.74.conf file got me the results I wanted. Which is fullscreen, but black bars on left and right with pixel perfect non-stretched rendering. This may not be the ideal or original way Keen was meant to be played, because originally it was stretched out, I believe it was 320x200 stretched to 320x240. But I prefer it this way.

commander-keen dosbox













[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=1920x1080
windowresolution=1920x1080
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=true
scaler=none















Another issue I had is getting my Xbox One DPad to be recognized in DosBox. The trick is to edit the .conf file with the following settings.
[joystick]
joysticktype=fcs
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=true

You can then use CTRL + F1 shortcut to remap the keys, I set my Xbox Controller DPad to arrow keys and it worked after.

Another tip is you can use F5 while in map mode to save the game in slots from 1-9.

In other news I added a couple of more basic gift certificates to GiftTemplate.


Business Gift Certificate












Business Gift Certificate 07

Business Gift Certificate












Business Gift Certificate 08

Also this blog is now over 10 years old, I'm not even sure why I started it but I guess just to document Linux stuff back in the day.

No comments: